A course devoted to the most luxurious and indulgent of piano repertoire – exploring the romantics!
This exciting period spans from mid-Beethoven to Rachmaninov (and beyond) and encapsulates an enormous amount of piano music. We are spoiled for choice, as anything from a gentle John Field Nocturne, or Schubert Impromptu, to a Brahms Rhapsody, Liszt Etude or a Rachmaninov Prelude, will hit the spot. Romantic music pushed emotional expression to the fore and saw composers making their music deliberately more expressive and descriptive, pushing the boundaries of the piano to new heights. The qualities make their music especially rewarding and exciting to play.
As broad the repertoire, so the ability required to play it! This course suits anyone from intermediate level through to advanced.
In between the workshop and masterclass sessions there will be time for private practice on one of our beautiful grand pianos. During these sessions, our tutor will give one-to-one lessons on our new Steinway to provide individual pointers and tips.
We’re incredibly lucky to have secured the services of Warren Mailley-Smith for this course. A very popular member of the Finchcocks team and a phenomenal pianist, his courses alway sell out. In 2016, Warren became the first British pianist to perform Chopin’s complete works for solo piano from memory at a series of concerts at St John Smith’s Square in London, a feat which involved memorising 3.5 million notes!
A prolific performer, you will find Warren in concert halls – and cathedrals – across the country as well as regularly broadcast on BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM. Amazingly talented, humble, encouraging and relatable in equal measure, Warren never fails to inspire his Finchcocks students.
On the Saturday night, Warren will perform a private recital of his current romantic repertoire for course guests, which is an opportunity to relax and be inspired with a glass of wine in the magical setting of the main hall of Finchcocks.
On this course, guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses.
- Will receive a one-to-one lesson with Warren.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private recital of romantic repertoire for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by Warren.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
If this course sounds like it’s one for you, please contact fill in the form below or call 01580 428080.