In this course, with Professor of Piano Penelope Roskell, pianists will have the opportunity to receive expert guidance on their current repertoire, both from a technical and an artistic point of view. Penelope is the UK’s foremost specialist in healthy piano playing, and she will share with the group how to put many of the ideas from her award-winning book The Complete PIanist into practice. The weekend promises to be musically intensive as well as friendly and supportive.
This course is designed for people who have reached a grade 8+ standard.
Each day typically starts with a workshop in the Finchcocks on our Steinway in the recital room. In the afternoons, there is time for private practice on one of our beautiful acoustic grand pianos whilst Penelope gives one-to-one tuition to guests.
This weekend’s morning workshops will include:
- Healthy technique clinic: Problem solving in your repertoire
- Natural artistry workshop: Interpreting your repertoire
Both provide guests with the perfect opportunity to bring pieces they are working onfor expert guidance.
Weather permitting, Penelope will also lead a gentle physical warm up session outside, showing pianists how to best prepare the mind and body before practice and playing. Comfortable clothing and footwear is recommended for this.
Later in the afternoon, we convene for a performance masterclass, which involves a little bit of (very relaxed) performance in front of your classmates.
At 7pm on Saturday we have our pre-dinner talk or recital in the main hall, which is a truly special chance to relax with a glass of wine and be inspired!
During their stay, guests will also:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses.
- Receive a one-to-one lesson with Penelope.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private walk-through performance talk for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by Penelope.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny by filling in the form below or on 01580 428080.
from £620 (inclusive of accommodation, food, wine and tuition)