International concert pianist, piano teacher, ABRSM examiner and well-loved Finchcocks tutor Florian Mitrea offers a wonderful weekend exploring healthy technique and performance. Guests will gain a deeper understanding of learning through studies, exercises, scales and arpeggios, as well as the art of performance within an exam/ judged setting.
This course is aimed at those playing at around grade 4-6.
The weekend will comprise of two interactive workshops and two performance classes, as well as a one-to-one lesson with Florian.
As usual, we suggest bringing a couple of pieces with you that are performance ready to work on privately and in a group setting. They don’t need to be perfect, just ready to polish up!
Workshop titles will include:
- Taking the grades – a healthy approach from an examiner’s point of view.
- Developing our technical ability – scales, arpeggios, exercises, etudes… can they ever be fun?
Florian will also offer the opportunity for one (willing!) guest to perform an open mock exam in front of the rest of the group – providing insight into how the exam works, what the examiner is looking for – and feedback on how to improve. Should no one feel up to it, the course host will step in.
In between the workshop and masterclass sessions there will be time for private practice on one of our beautiful grand pianos. During these sessions, Florian will give one-to-one lessons on our new Steinway to provide individual pointers and tips.
Over the course of the weekend, guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses.
- Will receive a one-to-one lesson with Florian.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private salon-style concert for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by Florian.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
For booking enquiries, please contact us on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.