This course is designed for classically trained pianists (Intermediate – Advanced) who would love to delve into or brush up on their jazz and blues skills!
David Hall (FRCO, MA Cantab) will help you combine solid piano technique, aural skills and jazz and blues music theory to help you explore a sound world perhaps different to the one you began playing the piano on.
The weekend will be structured around four interactive workshops, starting off with blues basics on the Saturday and developing on this with jazz standards on the Sunday.
Workshop titles will include:
- The meaning of the blues (structure, chords & poetry)
- Boogie woogie – 3 bass lines everyone should know
- 20 blues licks everyone should know (based on the blues scale)
- Jazz standards (chord charts & voicings)
In between the workshop sessions there will be time for private practice on one of our beautiful grand pianos. During these sessions, David will give one-to-one lessons on our new Steinway to provide individual pointers and tips.
On the Saturday evening, guest will be treated to a salon-style jazz concert on the family Bosendorfer of the main hall. Guests will also have the opportunity of joining in on a number or two – should they wish!
And here’s David in action with Programme Director Jennifer Maslin on our open-air stage!
Guests will also:
- Will receive either a one-to-one lesson with David or regular practice “drop ins”.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private recital for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by David.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries, please contact us on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.