Many of us played the piano whilst at school, but didn’t get quite as far as we’d hoped. Some of us missed out entirely.
This course is designed for adult pianists returning to the piano after a gap of a few years (or decades!). It would also suit anyone who has recently taken up the piano and is playing at around grades 2 – 4 level. In fact, you might have come across this page, having followed David Hall’s free online beginner and intermediate courses, launched to help people learn or hone a new skill during coronavirus lockdown!
The course will be taught by our wonderful musical director David Hall. The aim of the lower intermediate weekend is for guests to leave Finchcocks with a solid foundation on which to continue their piano journey, be inspired by some new techniques, confident and encouraged in the progress they have already made in their piano playing.
“The course approach is professional but gentle: it’s completely bespoke to your level, but without the pressure of performance.” ~ James (Google review)
Each day typically starts with a workshop in the Finchcocks recital room. In the afternoons, there is time for private practice on one of our beautiful acoustic grand pianos including our new Steinway and individual tuition from the tutor.
This weekend will include:
- Workshop 1: How to learn a piece of music
- Performance Class 1: How to play a piece of music
- Workshop 2: How to understand a piece of music
- Performance Class 2: How to convey a piece of music
In the afternoon we’ll convene for a performance workshop, which will provide tips on how to make the nicest sounds when playing. There is no pressure to play if you don’t feel ready, but we aim to make the atmosphere as relaxed and encouraging as possible, with David being known to ask a nervous player to just “begin with playing the last note”!
At 7pm on Saturday, we have a pre-dinner talk or recital in the main hall of the family home. This is a chance for guests can sit back and relax with a glass of wine: After a full day’s concentration, nothing beats hearing the course tutor inspiring guests with some current repertoire on the family Bosendorfer!
“As one of the newest beginners, the group was very supportive – everyone’s there to improve.” ~ Chris (Google review)
On a typical weekend course, Finchcocks guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses and two workshops.
- Receive one-to-one input from tutor David during circulation in the free practice sessions.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Enjoy a private recital for course guests on Saturday evening in the main hall of Finchcocks.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
This course is being run by David Hall (FRCO, MA Cantab), who was described as a “musical powerhouse” when the Sunday Times came to review one of his courses at Finchcocks. Inspiration and encouragement are guaranteed!
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.
from £620 (inclusive of accommodation, food, wine and tuition)