We’re very excited to announce that we have opened applications for the position of Assistant Course Director at Finchcocks.
When we bought Finchcocks two years ago, we we were really keen to continue the musical legacy following the closure of the historic keyboard museum that operated here for nearly 50 years.
We felt that there was a huge chunk of the population that had played the piano at school and lapsed in later life, but given the right opportunity would love the chance to re-engage with the piano. Whilst there’s an abundance of tuition aimed at children, there is very little designed for adults.
So we decided to set up a programme of piano courses for adults, with amazing teachers, really nice accommodation and a chef for the weekend. We set about renovating the vaulted brick cellars and the Coach House, did some tactical soundproofing and reconfigured the building so that everyone has their own grand piano for the weekend.
We had no idea whether anyone would come, but we’ve had some really lovely feedback and the word seems to be spreading (which has definitely been helped by some very nice reviews in places like Classic FM and the Sunday Times), and we’re planning to double the number of courses that we operate in 2019.
The role of the Assistant Course Director is to:
- Providing one-to-one piano tuition to our course participants supporting the themes and topics chosen by each of our Course Directors
- Assisting the Course Director to demonstrate keyboard technique and performance skills in masterclasses sessions
- Performing an evening recital following the themes identified by the Course Director
- Helping design and plan the programme of courses with our Musical Director and founder, and meeting new prospective Course Directors as required
- Providing advice and assistance to prospective course participants during the booking process (by email and telephone)
- Acting as host during the piano courses: welcoming participants as they arrive, introducing the pianos and 300 year old house, helping the Course Director to gather the group and keep the course (more or less) on schedule
- Contributing to the Finchcocks blog, newsletter and social media accounts
We’re looking for a recent graduate from a performing arts institution or conservatoire whose principal area of study has been the piano. In addition to strong performance skills, the ideal candidate will need good organisational and interpersonal skills. Some experience of teaching would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will need to be available to assist with the programme of 35 weekend courses and 5 mid-week courses in 2019. In between the courses, administrative assistance can be provided from home. Overall, we expect the role will take an average of 30 hours per week with a guaranteed package of £18k per annum. The course schedule is set well in advance, so this role could fit well around other performing or studying commitments.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering email. Applications close 9 November with interviews shortly thereafter and an expected start date of 3 January 2019.