We thought it was high time our upper intermediate players had the opportunity to study with the wonderful Graham Fitch for five whole days!
This summer piano retreat offers pianists grade 6 – approaching 8 the chance to fully emerse themselves in all that Finchcocks has to offer. The course aims to provide a luxury break away, the chance to practise on our 9 grand pianos without any distraction, challenge guests with new techniques and explore their own playing under the expert supervision of Graham Fitch.
Our 5-day summer schools are a well established highlight of the Finchcocks calendar. To ensure a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere, places are open to those who have attended at least one weekend Finchcocks course previously.
Like our weekend courses, formal tuition takes place in workshops, performance classes and one-to-one lessons.
This year’s focuses will be:
- Technique and Practice Clinics: In these two workshops, Graham will work with you on specific problem spots from a piece.
- Developing an Interpretation: There is no such thing as the one ideal interpretation of any piece, but we do need a clear idea of what we want to say. This workshop will focus on how to develop narrative, imagery and imagination in our playing for maximum communication in performance.
- The Practice Toolbox: Just as a craftsman has specific tools for each job, so the pianist needs to know how to identify and solve problems as we polish a piece.
- Preparing for Performance: We explore strategies that help us prepare for performance, and techniques for dealing with anxiety.
We’ll also have a bit of fun! In addition to a private recital in the hall of the main house or on our new open-air stage (weather permitting!), we’ll explore the private gardens at Finchcocks, experience a local wine tasting, be able to go for beautiful Kentish countryside walks to Scotney castle and enjoy a session or two in the family’s new heated swimming pool.
And of course, it goes without saying that you can expect the usual!
- Have the chance to play in and observe multiple performance masterclasses.
- Will receive one-to-one lessons with Graham.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private walk-through performance talk for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by Graham.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
This is a UK-based gem of a piano holiday and one that you won’t forget anytime soon! Many guests continue friendships made on these courses, encouraging each other on in the piano playing… and bumping into each other again on future courses!
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.
from £1450 (inclusive of accommodation, tuition and all food and wine)