Our 5-day summer schools are a well established highlight of the Finchcocks calendar. To ensure a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere, priority is given to those who have attended at least one weekend Finchcocks course previously.
This 5-day piano retreat for intermediate players offers pianists grades around grades 4 to 6, the chance to fully emerse themselves in all that Finchcocks has to offer. The course aims to provide a luxury break away, the chance to practise on our 9 grand pianos without any distraction, challenge guests with new techniques and explore their own playing under the inspiring supervision of our Musical Director David Hall (MA, FRCO, LRSM) and author of There’s more to playing the piano…
Each day will begin with a new, specific warm-up to provide a focus for practice or performance. Like our weekend courses, formal tuition takes place in workshops, performance classes and one-to-one lessons.
This year’s focuses will be:
- Workshop: Making the most of your Five Days
- Performance class: Bringing Your Music to Life
- Workshop: C Major is more than a Scale
- Performance class: Bringing Your Music to Life 2
- Workshop: Using the Cycle of 5ths as a Practice Tool
- Workshop: 10-week plan to improve your Sight-Reading
- Performance class: Understanding your Repertoire
- Workshop: Understanding Style
David’s Listen and Learn activity always gets conversation going round the dining table too – and provides a launch pad to explore new technique and repertoire as well!
We’ll also have a bit of fun! In addition to a private recital in the hall of the main house or on our new open-air stage (weather permitting!), we’ll explore the private gardens at Finchcocks, experience a local wine tasting, be able to go for beautiful Kentish countryside walks to Scotney castle and enjoy a session or two in the family’s new heated swimming pool.
And of course, it goes without saying that you can expect the usual!
Summer School guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe multiple performance masterclasses.
- Will receive one-to-one lessons with David.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private recital for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by David.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
This is a UK-based gem of a piano holiday and one that you won’t forget anytime soon! Many guests continue friendships made on these courses, encouraging each other on in the piano playing… and bumping into each other again on future courses!
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.
from £1450 (inclusive of accommodation, tuition and all food and wine)