Beyond Stage Fright – Tackling performance nerves is designed for upper intermediate to advanced players, those working towards grade 8 standard or a performance diploma. It is also suitable for piano teachers.
Running the weekend is the incredibly knowledgeable, encouraging and warm Charlotte Tomlinson. A specialist in the area and a pianist herself, Charlotte will help guests work on an area that affects every performer, but one that many don’t like to talk about.
Charlotte’s theme for the weekend course will be “Performance preparation”; covering some of the key topics that relate to the challenges faced by advanced players when playing in front of others.
Charlotte will tackle three key areas related to performing:
- Managing nerves – looking at how performance anxiety can arise and the possible psychological reasons behind it, along with some simple practical tools to manage the anxiety better. This is followed by the opportunity to put the information into practice, using a short extract from a piece to try to find freer and more enjoyable ways of managing tricky performance situations.
- Owning the stage – how to communicate well with an audience and feel comfortable on stage
- Practising for performance – how to prepare for a performance, what to focus on and how to control the inner critic when practising and performing.
Each day starts with a workshop in the Finchcocks cellars. Techniques are discussed, demonstrated and developed with everyone encouraged to participate. No preparation is required, and the exercises will be carefully adapted to the particular experience level of each participant.
Shortly afterwards, we convene for a performace masterclass in the recital room, which provides the chance to play your chosen repertoire in front of the group in a nurturing and relaxed atmosphere.
At 7pm on Saturday guests have the treat of listening to a private recital with a glass of wine in Finchcocks main hall – a chance to sit back, socialise, relax and be inspired after all your hard work!
On a typical weekend course, Finchcocks guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses and two workshops.
- Receive a one-to-one lesson from tutor Charlotte.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Enjoy a private recital for course guests on Saturday evening in the main hall of Finchcocks.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.
from £620 (inclusive of accommodation, food, wine and tuition)