Visit Finchcocks and leave with your own 32-bar piece – or song!
This unique course, run by the incomparable David Hall FRCO and author of There’s more to playing the piano, will explore all the ingredients you need to get composing, and leave with your own creation. The weekend will revolve around four interactive workshops, each followed by plenty of time to explore ideas and get composing at your own grand piano!
This course is designed for Upper Intermediate players (grade 6+) who have an understanding of or have passed grade 5 theory.
Workshop titles will include:
- A way in – finding your inspiration
- Nuts and bolts
- Developing and notating
- Finishing touches
At the end of the course – should you wish – our Programme Director will take a copy of your handwritten work and typeset it for you, returning it by email as a souvenir of your stay and marking the beginning of your new venture into composition!
Hall certainly knows his stuff, both academically and as a teacher. […] He comes across as the highly informed and approachable music teacher that you wish you had at school.
In between the workshop sessions there will be time for private practice, musical exploration and composition on one of our beautiful grand pianos. During these sessions, David will circulate, giving individual pointers and tips.
Guests will also:
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private performance for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by David.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
For booking enquiries, please contact us on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.