A weekend dedicated to sight-reading which, for the busy or practice-challenged pianist, requires no preparation at all!
Why do we always talk about aural tests and sight-reading tests? Finchcocks musical director David Hall advocates a systematic approach to sight-reading that does not involve weekly high-pressure tests. He believes that sight-reading should feel more like curling up on the sofa with a good book that you’ve not read before!
This weekend is designed especially for Upper Intermediate players and beyond, who want to improve – and enjoy – sight-reading at the piano. Taught by pianist and author of There’s more to playing the piano David Hall (LRSM, FRCO), this course is led by one of the best sight-readers we’ve ever witnessed!
Each day typically starts with a workshop in the Finchcocks recital room or around the Yamaha in our piano cellar. In the afternoons, there is time for private practice on one of our beautiful acoustic grand pianos including our new Steinway and individual tuition from the tutor.
Morning workshops for this course will include:
A ten-week plan to develop your skills
In the afternoon we’ll convene for a performance workshop, which will provide practical application the morning’s learning. There is no pressure to play if you don’t feel ready, but we aim to make the atmosphere as relaxed, fun and encouraging as possible, with David being known to ask a nervous player to just “play one note”!
Performance classes for this weekend will include:
- Quick study pieces – introduction
- Quick study pieces – performance
At 7pm on Saturday, we have a pre-dinner talk or recital in the main hall of the family home. This is a chance for guests can sit back and relax with a glass of wine: After a full day’s concentration, nothing beats hearing the course tutor inspiring guests with some current repertoire on the family Bosendorfer!
“Extraordinary weekend piano course with the excellent David Hall. […] Very good tuition tailored to the individuals and plenty of time to focus on the piano.” ~ Shadow Tours (Google review)
On a typical weekend course, Finchcocks guests will:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses and two workshops.
- Receive one-to-one input from tutor David during circulation in the free practice sessions.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Enjoy a private recital for course guests on Saturday evening in the main hall of Finchcocks.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.
from £675 (inclusive of accommodation, food, wine and tuition)