Playing from memory can be liberating, but it also has its potential pitfalls. Whether you want to strengthen your ability and confidence to perform from memory, or learn your pieces on a deeper level but end up playing from the score, this course will provide you with a number of tried and tested ideas, strategies and methods that will take you beyond mere muscle memory, notoriously unreliable when we are under pressure.
In this 3-day course, creator of internationally renowned Practising the Piano, Graham Fitch will offer insight and expertise into learning repertoire to a whole new level. There will be plenty of opportunities to try these ideas out in private practice sessions, interactive workshops and performance classes during your stay.
On this extended weekend course designed for Intermediate – Diploma+ players, Graham will break down and present his tried and tested method to deep learning and memorisation in the following interactive workshops:
- The Deep Learning Systems: we explore the three main memory systems and how to tap into each as we begin learning a new piece.
- Personalised Pattern Recognition: Players can be intimidated by the term “analysis”. This workshop will empower you to dig out those patterns that are meaningful to you, and show you how a clear mental map of the piece is key to playing it securely.
- The Memory Tools: We will explore a selection of tried and tested methods for deep learning and memorisation.
Guests will also:
- Have the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses.
- Will receive a one-to-one lesson with Graham.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Experience a private accompanied talk for course participants in the main hall of the family home, performed by Graham.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
For booking enquiries, please contact us on 01580 428080 or fill in the form below.