Did you know we host private piano retreats and holidays?
This year we are welcoming a number of organised groups in search of a retreat for their piano club. Whether it be for a weekend course or an extended 5 day stay, Finchcocks provides the perfect setting for a luxury group stay.
How does it work?
If you run an piano club or have a group of piano playing friends or colleagues who would be interested in a musical holiday, contact us here at Finchcocks. All we require is a group of 8 guests and we’ll do all the rest for you! We will arrange:
- Luxury accommodation
- Tuition from one of our highly skilled tutors
- Catering by a professional chef
- Access to our 9 grand pianos including our new Steinway model B
- A tuition timetable tailored to your group
- A selection of excursions according to your requirements
How much does it cost?
Prices are based on a group minimum of 8 “playing” guests:
- Weekend stay (Friday evening until Sunday afternoon): £600 per person
- 5 day stay (usually Monday – Friday) £1150 per person
- Weekend stay: £450
- 5 day stay (usually Monday – Friday) £825
- Weekend stay: £300
- 5 day stay (usually Monday – Friday) £550
Tuition arranged for you.
Our tutors are the experts in their field, each bringing their own specialisms to the team. Find out more about them here.
Based on the information you give when booking, we will tailor the programme to suit your group’s abilities and experience. It obviously helps if players have a similar musical background but it is not essential. The group can work in smaller subgroups and our tutors are used to gently differentiating exercises to the players’ capabilities.
The food and drink is superb – and generous ~ James Lewis (Google review)
Food at Finchcocks is a worth a visit in itself. Provided by our in-house chefs, you will be offered a varied and interesting seasonal menu. It’s always top on the list of what our guests rave about!
An overview of a typical 5 day stay
Our typical 5 day course programme which offers a variety of group and individual sessions:
- Performance classes: where each person has the opportunity to play their current repertoire in front of the group with tips from the tutor on how to polish their performance
- Workshop + guided practice: where we alternate between demonstration and practice on topics like effective practice techniques, sight reading, improvisation, pedalling, finger technique etc
- Technical sessions: theory based sessions that might include a discussion on harmony, chords, the circle of 5ths etc
- Lecture / recital by our tutor: often a short recital with commentary or analysis, or a talk on a particular composer etc – no participation required here other than to drink wine and soak up the musical inspiration after a busy day of playing!
- Individual lessons: normally two 20 min sessions per person over the 5 day period
We can also arrange excursions outside of Finchcocks, including a visit to the original Finchcocks Museum Richard Burnett heritage piano collection, now relocated to Tunbridge Wells.
Enjoying the local area
Finchcocks is in a prime location for some fantastic sightseeing, walking and exploring.
- Scotney Castle: Just a 15 minute walk from Finchcocks. Once part of the same Estate, it is now owned by the National Trust and is a beautiful example of an English castle.
- Bayham Abbey: Free entry to the historic ruins, managed by English Heritage.
- Sissinghurst Castle: Visit one of the country’s most famous gardens, created by poet and writer Vita Sackville-West.
- Bewl Water: Spend a day walking the perimeter of the local reservoir, or enjoy lunch overlooking the water.
- Bedgebury Pinetum: Enjoy a leisurely walk around the Forestry Commission’s world-leading collection of trees, rent a bike and cycle through them, or even have a go at swinging through them at Go Ape!
- Hush Heath Winery and tours: Multi-award winning wine. Need we say more?
- Tunbridge Wells: Visit the historic part of the town the “Pantiles” and, if you’re feeling brave, try the spa water! There are frequently farmers’ and artisan markets held there at the weekend and the place boasts a great coffee culture buzz! May – September also hosts the ever popular Thursday night Jazz on The Pantiles, well worth a visit. Wander up to the Common and Wellington Rocks, enjoy the many shops on offer in the old “village area” as well as new town up the top and finish of by eating out in an independent restaurant. There are many to choose from!
If you’re interested in booking a private piano retreat for you and a group of fellow pianists or have any questions about what we offer, get in touch.