Chopin; where he came from, and where he went! – an exploration of some of the music that led to what we call the ‘Chopinesque’.
Many consider Chopin to be a composer who stands alone in music history and indeed piano repertoire – a beautiful melancholic enigma almost in a genre of his own. In this unique course, concert pianist Daniel Grimwood paints a bigger picture, looking at the composers and music that influenced the beloved piano great – and those he himself influenced.
This course is mixed ability and will suit pianists intermediate right through to advanced.
As well as a one-to-one lesson with Daniel, weekend tuition will include two workshops and the chance to play in and observe two performance masterclasses also. Themes to be explored are:
- Parallel traditions – a Fieldian view of the Chopinesque
- Chopin, Liszt and Henselt
Suggested repertoire to choose from in preparation for the course:
- A Bach Prelude and Fugue from WTC.
- A Sonata by Clementi or Dussek.
- Mendelssohn Songs Without Words.
- A pair of Nocturnes each by John Field and Chopin (for example 5+ Field No. 5 and Chopin Op. 37/1, or 8+ Field No. 9 and Chopin Op. 55/2)
- A pair of Etudes each by Adolph von Henselt and Chopin (for example 5+ Henselt Op. 2/4 and Chopin Op. 25/2, or 8+ Henselt Op. 5/10 and Chopin Op. 10/1).
- Something from the Russian Romantics, for example Blumenfeld, Lyapunov, Rachmaninoff, Rubinstein, Tchaikovsky.
It goes without saying to select something from the above, don’t try and learn it all!
During their stay, guests will also:
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries, please contact Jenny by filling in the form below or on 01580 428080.