This course, run by Finchcocks Musical Director David Hall, is ideal for anybody who wants to develop their keyboard skills of harmonisation, composition and improvisation in a classical style
It is a mixed ability course, aimed at the intermediate to advanced pianist. Grade 5 theory standard would also be helpful.
Rather than the usual performance masterclasses, guests will take part in four practical and interactive workshops on the following subjects:
- Introduction to harmony
- How to harmonise a melody
- Introduction to composition
- Improvisation in a classical style
There will then be plenty of private practice time in-between to absorb and work on material from each of these sessions, supported by the wonderfully encouraging, knowledgeable and insightful David as he circulates giving one-to-one input.
David Hall, author of There’s more to playing the piano… (now stocked by Waterstones) was recently described by the Sunday Times when they joined us on a Finchcocks piano course, as a “musical powerhouse”. You might have seen some of the videos he created for Finchcocks to help pianists during the UK’s first lockdown. His teaching style is packed full of creative ideas and encouraging – with a gentle with a twist of humour!
This is him in action at one of our Saturday evening recitals, put on for course guests in the main hall of Finchcocks. For our Improvisation and Harmony course, David will perform some of his favourite piano pieces and help guests to analyse them using the various frameworks discussed during the day.
Although the focus of the weekend will be different to the usual performance-based courses we offer, David will keep workshops practical, engaging and interactive, bringing to life – and making accessible – subjects vital to improving musicality.
During the course, guests are welcome to try out each of our nine grand pianos in the vaulted cellars – to help put into practice what has been discussed in the group sessions.
Guests on this course will:
- Have the chance to take part in and observe four group harmony sessions.
- Receive one-to-one input from tutor David during circulation in the free practice sessions.
- Enjoy access to play on our 9 grand pianos anytime between 7am and 8pm. (There are enough pianos to go round that everyone can play a piano at any given time.)
- Enjoy a private recital for course guests on Saturday evening in the main hall of Finchcocks.
- Join and socialise with a group 8 fellow piano enthusiasts during lunch and dinner.
- Dine in style with lunches and three course dinners prepared by our fabulous chef.
- Experience the Finchcocks bubble, hailed as a “paradise for pianists” by BBC Music Magazine and stay in a grade 1 listed country manor.
Plus ones are very welcome on our courses, with a room surcharge dependant on whether they are a playing or non-playing guest. Please ask for further details.
For booking enquiries or to see if this course is suitable for you, please contact Jenny by filling in the form below or on 01580 428080.
from £620 (inclusive of accommodation, food, wine and tuition)