This coming January, Finchcocks is offering a very special piano retreat for those who want to get away from it all and re-focus on their playing. It is also ideal if you have been considering a course with us but are a bit scared of the idea of playing in front of others!
This weekend course differs from our usual format: Without formal workshops or performance classes, it is a mixed ability retreat with a free programme, leaving guests to spend their time relaxing or playing as much they want!
Our piano retreat offers piano enthusiasts our most accessible visit to date. Some Finchcocks guests voice their pre-course performance anxieties before coming on a course with us. With this retreat, there is no need for preparation, no fear of playing in front of a group, no measuring yourself against others or worrying about being the “worst in the group”. There is no requirement to even bring any music! If you’re stuck for inspiration, our tutor Dave Hall can provide something from our own collection.
Just turn up ready to enjoy all that Finchcocks has to offer! Begin the New Year with us: emerse yourself in piano playing, enjoy delicious food, the countryside tranquility, warmth and welcome of Finchcocks, its rich musical heritage and the company of fellow piano enthusiasts.
What can you expect from the weekend?
- A choice of 9 grand pianos to play on over the course of the weekend.
- Your own grand piano to practise on any time between 7:15am and 8pm on Saturday and from 7:15am until 3:30pm on Sunday.
- Two individual lessons with David Hall (MA (Cantab) FRCO).
- On hand practice supervision when you require.
- Evening recital from your tutor.
- A fantastic all inclusive weekend away with delicious food and wine.
- Meeting and socialising with other piano enthusiasts.
- As there are no performance workshops on this course, there is absolutely no pressure to play in front of anyone the whole weekend (other than David in your one-to-one session of course!). If, however, you would like to try a piece out in front of fellow guests, you would be more than welcome to arrange an impromptu performance!
- Rooms from £525.
- “Plus ones” also welcome with a room supplement of £300 for non-playing guests and £450 for playing guests.
New Year’s resolution
Why not set yourself up for the year ahead with music, one of life’s greatest joys? So often, guests tell us they learnt as a child but then “life happened”. Many of our guests come to Finchcocks to pick up where they left off, 20 or 30 years on. Others come for a much needed boost to a lifetime hobby, passion or profession. Some have even hailed a weekend with us as “life-changing”! Either way, what better time than to devote a weekend to something you love.
This promises to be one of most relaxed and enjoyable courses, so if it sounds of interest, please drop me, Jenny, a line or give call on 01580 428080.
Jenny Maslin is a vocal and instrumental tutor based in Tunbridge Wells, and also Assistant Course Director at Finchcocks. Finchcocks for her combines her greatest loves: music, food, wine and beautiful countryside. She refers to it as the “Finchcocks bubble”!